Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bangkok Culture shock.

Holy CRAP!
After a short hour and a half flight from Luang Probang I finally returned to Bangkok 2 1/2 months after my initial landing. I haven't even left Asia yet and I am definitely feeling a little culture shocked.

After10 weeks traveling in conservative, quieter, more traditional SE Asian countries Bangkok comes at me like a slap in the face. I find myself staring in awe at the scantily clad Thai bar-girls working the street like I haven't seen a woman's upper thigh or shoulder or skin tight clothing .. EVER in my life. The music pounding out of the bars and clubs shocks me; I've spent the last three weeks in a country where everything closes down between 10 and 11pm, only a few places stay open til midnight at the Very latest. I counted 8 ATM machines on one block alone in BKK; In my entire 3 weeks in Lao I encountered only 3 ATM machines, and only the one in Vientiane (the capital) worked with foriegn cards. Traffic jams on the way to the hostel from the airport??? When was the last time I saw more than ten cars on a road at a time?! There are maybe 3 cars in all of Lao, Vietnam is congested with motorbikes, and Cambodia's too poor for anything... whoah.

While sitting in traffic (!!) however I did get to catch a glimpse of this amazing rainbow on the way from the airport to the down town.

Bangkok is good for a little last minute power shopping and the last super-awesomest Thai Massage.
see you soon, SF!

No comments: