Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SF Life (halfway thru 2008)

As my move to Chicago approaches (and the SF weather gets better) I've been more aware of appreciating my surroundings, thinking about my time here, friends, life, sunshine and lovely afternoons spent at Zeitgeist or Dolores Park.



I moved here July 2003 and although i've come and gone over the years, San Francisco has always held my heart and been my home. Now I'm about to embark on a much longer (at least 3 year) adventure in Chicago. Every time I think about my move I flip flop from super excited for change (I've never been one to sit still) and sad to leave my friends and my life here. It certainly makes it easier know Chad is coming with me. I've also left enough places to know friendships hold fast despite geographical limitation. I know my SF friends in particular will always be ready for a Zeitgeist afternoon reunion. Lord knows I've had enough of those events and gatherings.



So here I am. Halfway through 2008. Almost gone from SF. And life's pretty damn good:

Work: I've managed to stay working 5 days a week filling in my days successfully with part-time gigs since Jan. I've acted as a "plant" in the Go Games ... some days you could find me around the city dressed in a wedding gown or like a pirate. I've done several variations of odd jobs for NatureMill from helping them move into the office, to PR mailings, to designing a display case for them and customer service 2 days a week. I like assisting Taraneh the best. Although it can be frustrating and tedious work that doesn't pay well I still can't complain too much. I get to listen to NPR and surround myself with art and artists 3 days a week.

Play: More social obligations, dance parties, birthday parties, house warming parties, picnics and friends to shake a stick at... and soooo many exciting trips coming up in the next few months. A trip to Milwaukee this weekend for Rachel's wedding. Then Jamaica for 10 days - 50 friends renting out a resort all to our selves for the week with snorkeling trips, hot springs, waterfalls and sunset cruises in store. Plus Priceless and camping trips in Northern California galore. It's a good life!

Live: I love my SF apartment. The large windows face east and heat the place in the mornings i awake with sunshine in my eyes. Surrounded by great restaurants, coffee shops and close to BART, we can get almost anywhere with ease. We could maybe use a little more space, but for now it does fit us both and all our stuff and has a parking garage space.
Living with Chad has been great. We've definitely had our fair share of issues but nothing that has been too big to handle. He cooks me dinner and does the laundry, so I can't complain :)
only drawback is the crazy lady and the stroke lady that live above us - they don't leave and are beyond reasonable when it comes to any type of sound.

I bike to work daily in my damned 700 lbs and totally impractical beach cruiser. It somehow appeared in place of my shitty walmart bike downtown last fall and i've been stuck with that stoopid Piece Of Shit ever since. The handle bars are about 3' across, it only has 6 gears and takes forever to get up hills. I'm SO ready to sell it when i live and get a real F-ing bike when i move to Chicago.
... and now I ramble on....

here's a link to Chad's pics from the year so far..
http://flickr.com/photos/chadn/collections/72157603910912537/

My camera was stolen last December and I haven't really taken pictures since :(

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awesome shayna! you embrace life with such passion!!!
xo
susan