Thursday, November 19, 2009

Athens -


I arrived in Athens on Monday night and am finally feeling a little more settled in. Jillian has been gone. Her grandmother died on Sunday night prompting her to leave for NY on Wednesday morning. Today is Thursday and she will be gone til Saturday evening, and as I wait, I work and settle into my new home and working space for the next month.

Her house is beautiful and in the midst of wooded nature. She lives on a little side lane on 2 (??) acres. At 100 ft away, her nearest neighbor is still close, but the community is sparse enough to make it feel secluded.

I've been on several jogs and only seen a car or two pass me by. One or two neighbors will be walking their dogs, but it's quiet here. The trees and landscape occupy most of the space.

I've started by collecting some branches, fallen pine needles and tall grasses from her yard and the surrounding area. Right now they're hanging suspended from a make shift rig across the ceiling. I've also started cutting up the typed letters I wrote her over the last month which I am gluing in patterns on the back wall.

Right now I'm taking my time to play with the materials, with ideas, and getting a sense of the space while I wait for her return.

We only have a few weeks to get this done. She will be gone the four days of this week, and next week 2-3 days will be dedicated to Thanksgiving.

Right now, I'm just antsy and excited to get this show on the road!!

No comments: