Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Free time and Free stuff

I've been back in San Francisco and happily unemployed for over three weeks now. (Is that right? I think so.) Well, almost happily.

I find myself fighting off feelings of guilt associated with not working for money or working towards anything concretely artistic. It's all i can do to silence my inner workaholic that keeps wanting to take on new projects and send my resume out. But I have to keep reminding myself of everything I have been doing. I tell myself daily: "No Shayna, you're fine. What you're doing is valid."

I'm putting my energy into personal projects, helping friends and volunteering instead of spending my time at some horrible restaurant job only to pays the bills:

~I've been consistently working on my daily blog project, Today Happens Every Day, where I post pictures and write daily. Although I'm not sure where it will lead me, it has helped keep me focused and working on something. And it's convenient cause I don't need any materials only a camera and a computer.

~I've been going up to Sonoma County to help Beth build her public art installation, due to open Sunday July 8th.

~I've started volunteering at SF Center for the Book again

~Soon I will start helping Jenny Jo and her theater company, Stars and Garters, building the set for her play due to open at voice factory on Friday July 6th. (another friend I'm SO proud of. It was only 3 years ago that we were drunk at 516 and she had an idea, applied for a grant and got the money. Since then she's got married, had a child and started the theater company she had only just talked about 3 years ago.)

~On July 10th I have an interview at City Arts Gallery for which I must prepare material. If I get accepted that's awesome and if not then at least i tried.

~Last weekend I participated in a Pin Up Girls Photo Shoot for a calendar to help raise money for William's art car. Hanging out in lingerie and drinking all afternoon with a group of good girlfriends wins as one of the best ways to spend a Sunday.

~The weekend before that I volunteered at Jason and Monica's Clothing Swap (http://swapsf.com/) which was massively successful and SO much fun. I got to hang out with friends, listen to Melvin play records, drink for free and help sort cloths all the while accumulating an almost entirely new wardrobe (8 cute new shirts, a dress, a pair of pants, a hat and a sweater) all for free!

~I will most likely volunteer at The Crucible's Fire Arts Festival in Berkeley. It will also get me in for free.



I also now have the time to hang out with friends and to kickit in nature:


~Sam had his 3rd Anual Spring Jam last Saturday. fun fun fun. I hung out with old friends and met some new peeps.

~Wed June 27th - Sunday July 1st is Mid Summer XI where we'll be camping in the Russian River Valley with a group of friends who have being doing this annually for 11 years. Although this is my first year I already know a good portion of the people really well. (Beth, Vic, Syd, Donovan, Kyle, Dina Bill, Mishka etc etc).

~I also will be heading to Priceless July 20th-22nd.

~and I will cap the summer off with my 4th year at Burning Man (previous years: '02, '04, '06)

No comments: