Wednesday, June 13, 2007

i like to screw



I like power tools.

I haven't worked on anything for a while. I think the last time I helped construct anything was the Poetry Shack last year at Burning Man...

But TODAY I had the honor of spending all afternoon helping my good friend, Beth Waldman, construct part of her public art installation.

I was there over a year ago (april 2005) when her proposal was approved and accompanied her up to wine country to help her "research" .. and, uh, to taste wine with her... that was a fun afternoon.

Her "Alternate Visitors Center" is due to open in the main plaza in Sonoma County on Sunday, July 8th. She's building a series of gates that display images from everyday life and stories from local farmers, land owners and winery operators, showing the local's story of what goes on in sonoma county.



Today I got to see almost two years of work almost completed and even had the honor of helping her with the task. It was the least i could to with my all my FREE time, plus I enjoy physical labor and the act of building things with my hands. Power tools are always a plus! ;) throw in some quality time with good company, a complimentary coffee in the morning and a paid wine tasting at the end of the day and I couldn't be happier.

I'm so proud of her and everything she's accomplished over the last few years including making and delivering a child! on top of everything else.

No comments: