Thursday, April 10, 2008

April = No Booze


So Chad and I decided to take off drinking for the month of April. We've already gotten through our first week (and weekend) and it's going well. At times it's been challenging but so for mostly rewarding. It feels good to know I can stay out dancing with my friends and have a good time without the help of alcohol. So far it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be.

Friday we went to Brass Tax 1st Friday at Amnesia then to Evil Breaks 4 year anniversary at Mighty. We were out til 3am, saw our friends, danced and a had a great time. I only felt mildly annoyed when i wanted some liquid to quench my dry throat and everyone around me held a beer of which i could not partake.

Saturday night i went to Shine for a few hours and then to some after parties. It was the later part of the night where i realized most people where having fun primarily due to their intoxication. At that point I was ready to head home.

So far so good: One week down, three more to go. ...

Here's why we're doing it:

Why no drinking?
~ detox, health, productivity, feel good about myself
~ imposed discipline and an exercise in self control
~ social experiment
~ free up all that hang over time on the weekends to do other things

why 1 month?
~ 1 month is long enough where it will feel like a significant accomplishment with out feeling like forever. If it was longer i might feel tempted to break it. It is an easily set and measured unit of time. fool proof!

Why April?

~ There's no time like the present, right? There are no major events, weddings, birthdays, SF events (bay2breakers - May, Decom, Pride...) in our near future

so there you have it kids. I'll let you know how i feel about it at the end of the month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for you shayna!