Tuesday, September 23, 2008

today I turned 29


On September 23rd 1979 at 1:33am I was born.

Today, Tuesday 9/23/08 I turn 29. (in 10 minutes it will be yesterday) 29 is a pretty anticlimactic age. I'm not young enough to be super excited about yet another day to celebrate (I've celebrated enough on many, many, many countless occasions over the years) and I'm not quite 30 - not quite yet... I'm also in a new city, in a new school and have been non-stop-going-stressed-out since I got here.

Today, I wanted (and severely needed) to rest, relax and take it easy. As a present to myself I took the day off work and decided not to THINK ABOUT or do ANY school work for the ENTIRE DAY - it was quite a feat.

Chad took me out to an awesome brunch spot: The Bongo Room in Wicker Park where I indulged in a bacon, egg, cheese croissant a mimosa and a cappuccino. I watched some bad daytime TV (something I never ever do) before Chad took me to my second big treat of the day a 60 minute deep tissue massage.... aahhh. After which we made dinner together: salmon, garlic-chive mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. THEN I watched a movie (another thing I haven't had the chance to do since i've been here)

It was truly the most relaxing, wonderful day I needed after all the non-stop stress of grad school.

I also want to thank EVERYONE for all the Birthday Love! I got like a million and five texts, calls, pings, emails and facebook messages from friends both near and mostly far away. The highlight was celebrating last night at midnight with Becky (whom I haven't seen in 2 yeras) in from out of town for a conference. The second best was the pix-text from friends at Zeitgeist toasting me. (see above pic) I was SO there in spirit.

I apologize for being M.I.A. - the transition back into grad school has been difficult. I'm not used to not having my free time be mine (it's now dedicated to homework), the readings have been hard and I've been slow in getting back into the swing of things. I hear I'm not alone in feeling this constant sense of pressure, stress, like i'm going to fall apart at the seems at any minute and my brain is going to implode as a backtoschool grad student. I've been told I'll soon get back into the groove of school and it will all be better soon.

I hope it does!

No comments: