We just had our first snow in Chicago!!
It's been in the 20s and 30s for the last month or so, and i've seen snow flurries dangle in the air on several occasions but nothing has stuck, until now. It's only a few inches, but it's also cold and icy: i spent some time shoveling and salting our front steps and walkway and Chad's car door was frozen shut (he had to crawl in through the passenger seat)!
Now I must prepare myself for Chicago winters. Everyone tells me, they're AWESOME. I do have a down jacket and some snow boots from my days living in St. Louis. They also served me well in my short stint living in the mountains in Rosendale NY through December 2005. There we had about a month of ZERO degree weather and probably about a foot of snow. But i've heard non of this compares to the winds and subzero temperatures that plague Chicago. I'm bracing myself. I'm also in the market for a good, long winter coat (knee length to protect from wind), better snow boots and probably some wool socks, wool mittens and a wool hat. The gear I have now will do fine in 20 degrees, but negative 20?! I don't think so.
I have my eye on a North Face (respectable brand), fitted and semi-stylish coat with a hood for warmth. It's called the Women's Artic Parka and runs $200 - $300. - read more reviews on backcountry.com. Cause, hey, if you wanna stay warm you gotta throw down the big bucks, no skimpin' there.
I also found also found all sorts of good info on shopping for winter wear. (After living in California for 7 years, lord knows i need all the help i can get)
Coat Shopping in Chicago
Yelp Advice for Winter Coats in Chicago
Chicago Winter tips (kinda silly, but fun)
More YELP Chicago Winter Necessities
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment