Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 Summed Up


I look back on my 2006 and 2007 summaries and realize how far I've come, and how much I've experienced over the last few years. Life has fluctuated between exhilarating, trying, heart breaking, exciting, exhausting, fun, and still continues changing. In some ways I feel I've grown, in other ways I've regressed and yet I keep moving on. 2008 was rough and I find myself still stumbling my way out of the fog. Looking back, I've certainly had my ups and downs (some of which I covered in the survey I posted on Facebook) but I'll only put the highlights here.

So here's my 2008 recap:
~I spent the first 8 months in San Francisco, living with Chad, playing with friends, having lots of fun, riding my bike to work, dancing, hanging out at Zeitgeist and Dolores Park, partying at Sf events like Bay2Breakers and Yuri's Night
~I worked assisting artist Taraneh Hemami and held various titles at NatureMill where i still work as a costumer service rep (remotely from Chicago). I wasn't rich, but I made ends meet and even got some time to travel.
~I visited friends in NYC for a week at the beginning of the year, and took one other big trip to Jamaica for Midsummer XII, as well as many little camping trips and hikes around Northern California including 20 miles backpacking to Sykes Hot Spring a camp out in Guerneville for Pascal's Bday and Glory Hole for our going away party. I ended the year with 4 days in New Orleans where I had lived, worked and volunteered back in '06.
~Chad and I drove approx 2,700 miles from SF to Chicago through The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park, it was our 3rd big trip together and our 2nd time driving Xcountry.
~I start Grad School at Columbia College Chicago the same week Chad and I moved into our Logan Square apartment and that's when life got rough - My absurdly high stress levels and exhaustion affected both me personally and my relationships.
~I went to go talk to a school counselor who sent me to the hospital who then sent me to mental institution where i stayed, imprisoned for the week. This was up there as one of the most significant experiences of 2008 and I'm still fighting thousands of dollars worth of hospital bills. (I was uninsured at the time). I am not back on meds although I do have to see a therapist regularly to stay enrolled in my grad program.
~ I had a chance to witness the election of a candidate who i truly believe in and I got to be a part of Obama's Election Night Celebration in Grant Park, Chicago !!!
~Despite the obstacles (and missing 3 weeks of school) I was able to hand in my final project and finish the semester with the rest of my classmates.


My camera was stolen at the beginning of the year so most of my pix are borrowed from friends or Chad's camera. You can view my 2008 collection onflickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/shaynakatherine/collections/72157608059141311/
or just the highlights:
http://flickr.com/photos/shaynakatherine/sets/72157603726550745/


2008 presented a lot of good mixed with a lot of bad. Chad and I moved to Chicago together. I met some amazing new friends here (yeah bike gang!) and Chad and I overcame some pretty serious struggles. I am so grateful to have him in my life along with all those near and far who supported me while i was in the hospital. I had a rough start to Grad School but am thankful for my peers in the Book and Paper Art program and am looking forward to bigger and better prospects in the coming year. And amidst it all America elected our first African American President!

2009, I'm ready!

No comments: