Monday, February 02, 2009

Loving Chicago (despite the long cold winter)

Yes, the high is 20 degrees today. and yes, there's been a foot of snow on the ground for the last two weeks. It's been this way for the last three months and we can only expect it to continue for another three more, but the days are getting longer and the sunshine (when it's there) lingers a few minutes more with each passing day.

My classes started again last week. I'm feeling more prepared for this semester and ready to sink my teeth in. I'm taking an Artist Book class a Writing Class (Text, Image Word) and a class called Art As Practice where we learn how to find and apply for grants, residencies and other artist opportunities. The classes this semester seem better set up with smaller assignments leading to larger work. Much more manageable that last semester's Thinking Through Making class where we were introduced to all three studios and expected to make one final piece at the end of it all. It was very overwhelming.



Last night we hosted a SuperBowl Party at our place. It was our first official 'party' in Chicago. About 15 people showed up with snacks and beer and MORE snacks. It was a success and i realized how much I appreciate the people we've met since we've moved here. Old friends from Wash U, new friends through friends, and people we knew in SF, or people who were friends of other SF friends everyone is consistently a really amazing individual.

Aside from school and friends I've been looking into other Chicago programs. When it starts to get warmer I want to work on a garden, either one in my back yard or joining up with a community garden in the area. I found this amazing resource that maps out all the gardens and shared nature areas in the city:
http://www.greennetchicago.org/find_garden.html

The chicago park district is also a great place to find all sorts of community activities and they offer all sorts of classes in a variety of different areas: fitness, arts, sports, writing, nutrition, yoga etc.
Super cool:
http://programs.chicagoparkdistrict.com/programBrowser/

No comments: