Monday, December 07, 2009

A Note From Jillian - Show Announcement

Dear Friends,

I have been working on an art installation with my friend Shayna- a talented visiting artist from Chicago. Shayna has spent 3 weeks at my house transforming my dining room into an interactive art piece.

I was in desperate need of a place to live when I first met Shayna. I was leaving a mice infested, slumlord run apartment in San Francisco, when I answered her ad on Craigslist. Her and Jenny were looking to fill the 3rd room of their amazing flat in Hayes Valley. I was tired of running around trying to find a home for me and my rabbit, and they had already interviewed a bunch of people. Anyways- it came down to pulling two names out of a hat- and I won! The rest of the following year was spent creating, dancing til dawn, wreaking havoc, breaking legs, being too loud, crying, making messes, writing, teasing boys, running a hostel-sometimes a brothel, singing off key, banging on typewriters, cutting hair too short, growing up, throwing up, collaging walls, collecting trinket trash, howling at the moon, making pancakes, watching movies, making costumes, and always putting off cleaning.

This last August I was lucky enough to find and buy an amazing, incredible, house. Everything about it screams art, especially the high ceilings and tons of wall space. I have been blessed to have met many extraordinary people in my life. One of them being Shayna. A few years ago, I visited her in Rosendale, NY where she was spending 6 months in an artist residency. There she created a small installation in a closet consisting of tiny polaroids, letters, handmade paper, and dragonflies. Remembering it a few years later, I offered my house to her, giving her the chance to make something larger scale. I allowed her to do almost anything she wanted. I asked her to use branches and prisms, and to construct something that would still let the dining room be a dining room. I can't wait for you to see what we've done.

As of right now, the installation is still untitled. We imagine it as a stage or a set, which means it's missing one last ingredient......
People!
Please come out and be part of our installation for one night. I will have my camera set up to take photos of everyone in the set/on stage. We will have some props- but please bring more to add to your photo. Costumes and silly things are encouraged! No need to over think it, or go nuts trying to find something. Bring something you already have- anything ANYTHING goes!

We will have snacks and warm beverages, and maybe some soda. Bring some food or drink to share if you like.

WHEN: Tuesday Dec. 8th 6pm-9pm
(come anytime, leave anytime)

If you miss out due to my last minute organization, don't worry. The installation will be up for at least a few months.

hope to see you!

hearts and stars,
Jillian

No comments: