
The sucky part is that it's the running outside on hard pavement that is killing me.
I love running and I love being outside. With the changing of the seasons from gloomy chilly winter to gorgeous sunny spring comes a strong desire to spend every moment possible outside and being active. Its not too far of a leap to consider spending several of those beautiful hours outside running. Seems like a win-win, right?
Conversely, there's no way in hell i could run that long, inside, on a treadmill.... boooooring.
This Spring, thus presented a perfect opportunity for me to push myself to run longer distances, outside, enjoying the weather, with the goal of training for a long distance foot race... Or so i thought.
After 3 weeks of a variety of mixed distance runs outside [short (3 miles) and long (7 mile) and some medium (5.5mile)] I started experiencing sharp pains in my knees. Not just your average dull ache, but a sharp, debilitating knife jab into the side of my knee cap. I felt it most prominently when running (in which case, I would be forced to stop and walk) but also the day after a run, while casually walking city streets in boots or other foot ware, in this case, less sharp and painful, but still there none-the-less.
My knees will let me run forever on the treadmills, but I get so bored with gyms I can't do it. ///
My head wants to run forever outside, but my poor knees can't take running long distances on pavement.
So, that's that.
I still want to train for something, but I'm thinking this isn't the year to do it. I have several friends training for triathalons, but I am a horrible swimmer and I have zero desire for that.
I do have a bunch of Cali friends doing the AIDS lifecycle from SF down to LA in June.
545 miles in 7 days. http://www.aidslifecycle.org/
Biking is definitely more my speed. I might consider something more along those lines in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment