http://www.131marathon.com/13_1_Chicago.htm - which sounds like half party / half running.
Over the winter I got back into running. I usually run 2-4 miles, 3-4 times a week. I am interested in setting a greater goal for myself; to challenge and to push myself beyond my current capacity.
Assessing my current situation: I'm sure I could be up for it mentally; Physically I will will have to train and exert more discipline over my lifestyle. I'm still not sure if my knees can take it or not. I am testing the waters now with longer runs and seeing how it all feels.
Last week I ran 5.5 miles on Wednesday and then 6.5 miles on Thursday(the longest I've run in my life) at a slow and steady speed to see how it felt. The last half mile of my 6.5 mile run was Rough! but I did it!!
If I trained and slowly built up endurance, I could probably reach 13.1 miles.
I was only exhausted immediately after my runs and not sore at all the next day. I stretched properly, drank lots of water and took vitimins. I then rested on Saturday and Sunday.
Today I ran 5.5 miles again. My knees hurt a little on impact, but not enough to stop me. I will try another 7 mile run sometime this week, before I make the final decision to sign up and start training.
I always prefer running alone (instead of with a partner or a group) so I have been researching different training programs online. Here's some links to training schedule for beginners like me:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html#
http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
| Week | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat | Sun | Total |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | 3 | Rest | 3 | 3 | Rest | 4 | Rest | 13 |
| 2 | 3 | Rest | 4 | 3 | Rest | 5 | Rest | 15 |
| 3 | 3 | Rest | 4 | 3 | Rest | 6 | Rest | 16 |
| 4 | 3 | Rest | 5 | 3 | Rest | 8 | Rest | 19 |
| 5 | 3 | Rest | 5 | 3 | Rest | 10 | Rest | 21 |
| 6 | 4 | Rest | 5 | 4 | Rest | 11 | Rest | 24 |
| 7 | 4 | Rest | 6 | 4 | Rest | 12 | Rest | 26 |
| 8 | 4 | Rest | 5 | 4 | Rest | 9 | Rest | 22 |
| 9 | 3 | Rest | 4 | 3 | Rest | 8 | Rest | 18 |
| 10 | 3 | Rest | 3 | Walk 2 | Rest | 13.1 | Rest | 21.1 |
Training for your first Half
| Week | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat | Sun |
| 1 | Stretch & | 3 m run | 2 m run or cross | 3 m run + strength | Rest | 30 min cross | 4 m run |
| 2 | Stretch & Strengthen | 3 m run | 2 m run or cross | 3 m run + strength | Rest | 30 min cross | 4 m run |
| 3 | Stretch & Strengthen | 3.5 m run | 2 m run or cross | 3.5 m run + strength | Rest | 40 min cross | 5 m run |
| 4 | Stretch & Strengthen | 3.5 m run | 2 m run or cross | 3.5 m run + strength | Rest | 40 min cross | 5 m run |
| 5 | Stretch & Strengthen | 4 m run | 2 m run or cross | 4 m run + strength | Rest | 40 min cross | 6 m run |
| 6 | Stretch & Strengthen | 4 m run | 2 m run or cross | 4 m run + strength | Rest or easy run | Rest | 5-K Race |
| 7 | Stretch & Strengthen | 4.5 m run | 3 m run or cross | 4.5 m run + strength | Rest | 50 min cross | 7 m run |
| 8 | Stretch & Strengthen | 4.5 m run | 3 m run or cross | 4.5 m run + strength | Rest | 50 min cross | 8 m run |
| 9 | Stretch & Strengthen | 5 m run | 3 m run or cross | 5 m run + strength | Rest or easy run | Rest | 10-K Race |
| 10 | Stretch & Strengthen | 5 m run | 3 m run or cross | 5 m run + strength | Rest | 60 min cross | 9 m run |
| 11 | Stretch & Strengthen | 5 m run | 3 m run or cross | 5 m run + strength | Rest | 60 min cross | 10 m run |
| 12 | Stretch & Strengthen | 4 m run | 3 m run or cross | 2 m run | Rest | Rest | Half Marathon |
I'm still on the fence on whether the half marathon is right for me... two hours of running? Really?!
But, I figure I have a little more time before I decide. I'll keep you posted
No comments:
Post a Comment