Friday, November 24, 2006

Bacon Martinis

Sounds gross, right? Just admit it, you're disgusted.



Well, yesterday at Thanksgiving Dinner I tasted one for the first time and it's really good. it IS! I swear.

Sol mixed a regular vodka and vermouth martini. He then strained the mixture over the freshly cooked strip of bacon that garnished the glass, allowing the grease to give it that extra bacon-y flavor. For an added twist of deliciousness he rimmed the edge of the glass with sweet Maple syrup.... and viola!

Online I found this alternative recipe:
Lightly mist martini glass with vermouth, and rim the edge with bacon grease.

In a cocktail shaker, mix 3oz vodka, one dash Tabasco, and one dash olive juice.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Skim excess bacon grease from surface of cocktail.

Garnish with one slice of bacon.


Apparently Bacon Martinis originated at the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas. (also 'home of the fabled Ass Juice.) Mmmmm, sounds delicious. I've never been a big fan of Vegas, but this might be a reason to go. And according to this article from Chow, there's another place in New Orleans that serves gin and jerky juice. Now how come I never heard of it?

And there you have it: the newest trends in alcohol and meat consumption.

No comments: