Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thoughts on Grad Schools:

COLUMBIA COLLEGE OF ART in Chicago
Columbia is the only school that incorporates all my interests within a single program: installation, paper making and book arts. It's also more experimental and non-traditional then most places. The facilities were extensive and well maintained. The students seemed happy. Academically it seems like a really good fit.

I also love the fact that it's in Chicago. It's a really big city with a lot of character. The arts scene is flourishing and seems really accessible, plus it's affordable to live there and have space (unlike SF.) The only flaw I found with the program was that the studios were not 24 hour access, but it seems like they're on the way to changing. I'm definitely going to apply for the February deadline and then see what happens from there. I may decide to attend in Fall of '07 or defer a year, depending on how things are going in SF.

UNIVERSITY OF IOWA school of art
Some of the facilities were really nice, but the Center for the Book was lacking. All the students I came across were wholesome and friendly, but the program isn't really what I'm looking for. And I'm not too into the small, Midwestern college town thing. One bonus is all the grad students get huge and amazing studio spaces. The most positive part of the day was when I met with Tim Barrett in the paper making department. He was awesome and I liked him immediately. He seemed really easy going, intuitive and smart, and easy to talk to. He's the only reason I'm still interested in the program there.

and Rachel just convinced me to look into University of the Arts in Philly...

I know I definately want to go to grad school at some point. I'm not sure if I'll be ready next the fall so I may decide to defer a year, or just head out and do it... so there you have it.

No comments: