At this point we've been in Vietnam for a little over a week. We spent a few days in Saigon and then a very relaxing few days in Mui Ne a southern costal resort town. Veeery nice and now I am quite tan. We're now in Hoi An, a beautiful old trading village with amazing old Euro-Asian architechture (think New Orleans meets China) situated in the central costal area.
I've noticed that the Vietnamese don't smile nearly as much as Cambodian's or Thais. Their English isn't nearly as good and they rarely make eye contact. Of course there are always exceptions, but the pace of life here seems a bit busier and quicker compared to the rest of SE Asia.
So far I've been trying to teach myself a little vietnamese (well mainly food terminology) Becuase the Vietnamese use western letters it's easier to read than Thai and Cambodian. Even though I have no idea what most of the words mean I can still somewhat recognize the sounds.
Bo ... beef
Ca .. fish
Ga ... chicken
Muc ... squid
Tom ... shrimp
Com .. food / rice
Xau ... sauteed
We're still trying to figure out how to order fresh spring rolls which don't seem as common as they are in the states. And the Pho here is certainly excellent, although it's traditionally usually only servered as breakfast. Pho is best at soup cafes otherwise it's only so-so.
And the fish is some of the best I've had in my life mmmmmm.
And I can not forget Vietnamese Coffee... definitely the highlight of traveling Vietnam and the best coffee SE Asia how to offer. gotta love it!
We'll be here for another few days before we make our way North to Ha Noi and the to chill in the mountain town of Sapa. I'll keep you posted.
over and out ~ shayna
No comments:
Post a Comment