Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Getting Excited for Burning Man

Now that I have all the apartment stuff sorted (aside from the actual moving part) and I have time to start thinking about Burning Man and getting all my shit together I'm finally starting to get excited.

This will be my fourth year and a break from my every-other-year routine ('02, '04, '06). I usually like to take a break between years to rejuvenate, maintain excitement and avoid 'burn out.' (ha) I decided to go this year because it may be my last in SF for a while. This time next year I will be moving to Chicago and starting a new school which doesn't leave room, time or money to haul my ass out the Nevada Desert.

Our Monkey Island art car is coming along nicely but there's still quite a bit last minute work to do. I finally finished sewing together the two large palm tree trunks and am now ready to tackle the sewing of my costumes. My two sources of inspiration for costumes this year are 1) the color green (for the theme the GREEN MAN) and 2) furry monkeys for Monkey Island (I'm also sorting through all my crap from the past 10 years of being a costume whore.) Tutus are definitely the easiest and cheapest to make: elastic is $0.39/yd, tulle is $0.99 - $1.39/yd, and each one takes about 30 minutes to construct and sew together.

I'm also getting excited for our camp a small group of close friends, 2 virgins, and "the Gayz"...

.. .. Now back to the sewing machine. :)

No comments: