Sunday, January 06, 2008

2008 thus far AND a trip to NYC

2008 came in with a bang! It was a non-stop four days of birthday, new year, dinner and dance party celebratory good times. fun! fun! fun!

Then the storm hit: both Chad and I got sick (Chad's way worse than me). Then all the power went out and we were stuck at home with no lights, no heat, no way to get the car out of the electric garage, no tv, music or entertainment and we couldn't even cook on our electric stove top.

Finally, after a day of waiting, the power came back on and the sun emerged and all was ok .. except now our fridge is broken, the repair guy came 2x already and we can't reach our landlords til Monday. All our food is sitting in coolers in the kitchen.

In the meantime I've been working on my number 1 NYResolution: to get health insurance... which is extraordinarily frustrating. First because of the absurdly high amount it costs just to be covered if something major happens. I'm already paying a monthly fee and then, yippeee, i could be lucky enough to have only a $2000 deductible before i even start thinking about whether regular checkups, mental health or prescriptions are covered. Our health care system is such bullshit it makes me want to SCREAM! And why am i buying into this?? Oh, yeah, cause if anything does happen i don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. I'm about to say: 'fuck it all' and move to Canada or Spain or Germany or anywhere else...

Whew... I need a break!
lucky for me I'm headed to NYC for week. I leave Monday night on the red eye and will be staying with my girl, Bobby, and my cousin, Alison, for part of the time. I also plan on heading up to Rosendale NY (1.5 hrs north of Manhattan, along the Hudson river) for a night to visit Women's Studio Workshop where I interned for 6 months in the fall of 2005.

I'm excited to get out of SF for a few days and to relax (in NYC?? really??) and go grandma style and just catch up with good friends. I've spent enough time in 'the city' there's nothing I feel a strong urge to see, I'm more just going to hang out with friends and family.

No comments: