Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Trip to New York!

Although I'd never call myself a New Yorker, the city is in my blood: My mom was born and raised on Long Island, my grandparents in Queens and Brooklyn, my cousins in NY State and New Jersey. I've been visiting friends and family in NYC and the surrounding area almost every year since I was born. I know I could never live there, but it's always a been kinda like a second home.



This past week I was there to see my girl, Bobby, my cousins and Aunt (Amy, Alison and Andrew) Chris Petrone at WSW and Jesse Mann (whom I haven't seen in over 5 year!).

Having been to NYC so many times in the past this trip was more about relaxing, spending time with family and friends, sleeping, eating and drinking.
Here's a link to my flickr pics: http://flickr.com/photos/shaynakatherine/sets/72157603722458568/

Highlights of my trip included:

~ Women's Studio Workshop in Rosendale, NY (2hrs north of Manhattan) where I lived and worked for 6 months in 2005. Seeing the Studios, all the women who work there, hiking the trail to the summit I used to walk every day. Eating at Eggs Nest.

~ Spring Awakening - The new Broadway musical won 7 Tony Awards in 2007 including "best musical." Bobby and I got up early to wait in line for $25 student rush tickets, totally worth it! It's a coming of age story that takes place in the late 1800s. The music and acting and story are amazing! It was funny, and serious, and well writen. There was a sex scene, a masterbation scene and I even got to see tits and ass. yeah!

~ P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center.
awesome! awesome! awesome!

~ Drinking and Dancing to Oldies at Beauty Bar with Bobby, Jesse Mann, Michaelangelo ... WU reunion. Jesse and I went to art school together at Wash U in St. Louis. He's lived in Brooklyn for the past three years and I don't think I've seen him since 2002... or something, either way, it's been a while.

~ Brunch with my Aunt and Cousins and Blue Ribbon Bakery.
Alison and Andrew both live in Manhattan and my Aunt drove into the city from NJ and treated us to a delicious brunch. yum. I don't think I've seen any of them since late 2005 (a little over 2 years ago) http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/restaurants.asp?nav=ln_rests_bakery&content=rests_bakery_main

Now I'm back in SF. What a great trip!




No comments: