
Last weekend Chad and I met up with Terry and Dana to hike 20 miles round trip to Sykes Hot Springs in Big Sur.
It was my first backpacking trip ever (yay! I survived) and quite a lovely two day adventure. The trail was varied with ups and downs, river crossings, redwoods and amazing views. The weather was perfect: not too hot or too cold and the company couldn't be beat. I carried all my crap on my back and hiked the whole way: 5.5 hrs in and about the same on the way out. I was definitely a little achy at the end but it felt real good. i like trees.
It was a last minute decision when Dana mention Sykes hot springs on Friday night and we decided to leave on saturday afternoon. We stayed over night in Monterey then met up with them at Big Sur Station on Sunday morning to start the hike off early.
The hot springs were nice, but not all that amazing it was the setting that made it great. The camp site and the trail really busy for February (the long weekend must have drawn the crowds) and I can't even imagine how busy it could possibly get during peak season in the summer.
All in all a great trip!
here's a link to Chad's flickr pics:
http://flickr.com/photos/chadn/sets/72157603943415741/
and his blog post:
http://chadnorwood.com/2008/02/19/gps-hike-to-sykes-hot-springs/
No comments:
Post a Comment