Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Employment!!

Since gradation It's been my goal to find work and get paid doing something (anything) art related. I've unfortunately wasted too much of my time in the food service industry where the money is good but the soul-sucking work is stressful and uninspiring. Over the last few months I've been finding creative ways to make ends meet doing odd jobs, getting paid for market research studies, working promotion, walking dogs, cleaning friends houses and doing pretty anything to bring in a few extra bucks all the while scouring craigslist for a job in my field.

Around Thanksgiving I finally got a call from Taraneh Hemani, a mixed media installation artist and professor at CCA looking for an artist assistant. We arranged a time to meet. It was a brief and somewhat scattered encounter. I left not quite sure what she was looking for but very sure that i wanted to do it, whatever "it" entailed. A week later she emailed me saying she was interested in having me assist in her studio. Unfortunately prior commitments prevented me from starting immediately and the project was put on the back burner for the time being.

We then continued to play phone tag for the next several months until only a few weeks ago, after a series of emails, we finally reconnected. Last Friday I met her at her Bayview studio and i got a chance to start what had been put into the works several months earlier. We arranged for me to come in 2 days a week (flexible hours) and work with 4 other women she has hired to help.

I can't even begin to explain how excited i am to start working this position. Even though it's only part time and the pay isn't the greatest. I'll be getting paid to do what i love.

Being around art is good for my soul. It fills me up, helps me see things clearly and interpret the world accurately. It's like a favorite pair of jeans that fits perfectly flattering and is worn in all the right places. And it's been missing from my life for far too long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats! -mark