Saturday, January 02, 2010

2009 was a good year


After the turmoil, heartache, upheaval and transition of 2008 - looking back, 2009 is such a happy and welcome change. Yes, the year of Change. Starting off the year with a road trip to DC for Obama's inauguration, things have proceeded to get better ever since. After a tumultuous first semester in grad school, second semester awarded me straight As, a final book project and the $5,000 Aiko fellowship to work on a community garden. When I finished the semester in May I opened my eyes to a glorious and sparkling Chicago summer. I had time to travel, to bike, to dance, see bands in the park, hang out on the beach, partake in street festivals, to sleep in and to work in the garden. The summer included many out of town visitors, weekend camping trips , travels and weddings, culminating in my 5th Burning Man experience.

Fall I was faced with the difficult decision to take some time to myself and leave grad school for the moment, to reassess my wants and needs against my current situation. I continued working part time and working in the garden as I prepped for my feature program as a part of Chicago Artist Month. I also turned THIRTY and celebrated with a trip with friends to the St Louis City Museum.

Saving the best for last, the year ended on my highest point of 2009, my engagement to the wonderful Chad Norwood. After 5 years and 2 cities together it was about time. I'm SO looking forward to 2010.

Here's all my pics from the year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaynakatherine/collections/72157612848747676/

And just the best of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaynakatherine/sets/72157612660543146/

So here's the rundown.
~ 7 Midwestern weekend adventures including: Starved Rock State Park IL; Indiana Sand Dunes; Lakes of Fire Regional Burn in Michigan; Demolition Derby in Oregon IL; St Louis 30th Bday extravaganza; CampoAlegre Decompression weekend in Webster IN; Cold Springs Inn b&b WI.
~ 5 flights to both the coasts and south include: a week long trip to SF in March, NYC in July, a week at Burning Man in Nevada, Syd and Fritz's Austin TX wedding, a month in Athens GA, and Atlanta GA for Christmas
~ Berlin was my only international trip this year. I visited Anita for a week. SO MUCH FUN.
~ Art projects include: The Night Sky artist Book, Altgeld Sawyer Corner Farm, The Colorful Canopied Creation of Contagious Imagination
~ I created my online etsy shop which has slowly been gaining momentum
~ We hosted 3 house parties: Superbowl party, End of year Back Yard BBQ, and Troy to the World 2 story holiday party
~ Attended many many meetings of the BYOB Supper Club
~ Summer provided boat rides, bike rides, street festivals and visitors
~ Our circle of friends probably quadrupled in size with John and Cat, the BYOB Supperclub crew and all the Lakes of Fire - Freakeasiers.

The biggest and best things of Oh9?
turning THIRTY, Getting Engaged, winning the Aiko fellowship and being a featured artist for Chicago Artist Month... like I said,
2009 was a good year!

No comments: