Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Grant Proposal


The mission in Seattle was a success!
Rachel and I worked pretty much the whole week on our grant proposal for the residency at Women's Studio Workshop. (interspersed with scooter rides, coffee breaks, fresh fish sushi and cheap Asian meals) I'm really satisfied with the result. I think we submitted the best product we could, and now it's dependent on the jury and our competition. I don't want to jinx anything, but I definately think we have chance at winning this. If we get it, we will be awarded $2000 and go (back) to Women's Studio Workshop to create an artist's book and to teach classes for two months.

The Project Description:

OPEN SPACE:
an investigation of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina

In March 2006, six months after Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans we spent ten days volunteering in the 9th Ward at the Common Ground Collective. We intend to create an artist book based on our experience there.

The situation in New Orleans represents the social injustices, racial inequalities and lack of governmental support that plagues our country. As artists, we believe it is historically relevant to document the situation and to present an alternative to mainstream media at such a pivotal moment in time.

Our process of gathering information directly from the environment is just as important to our concept as the presentation of material within the pages of the book.

Focusing on images and our experience of New Orleans, Open Space (a working title) explores the dichotomies, contradictions and the tensions between destruction - creation, hope - despair, inspiration – frustration, and love - anguish through depictions of literal and psychological space.

The images will be printed using silkscreen and the words will be printed using the letterpress.

Open Space is still a work in progress. We intend to return to New Orleans to continue to gather images and to further develop the content of the book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck on your quest.

I have not photographed it yet but plan to. In cleaning out my mother's house in New Orleans I was going through the hundreds of moldy, mangled books scattered across the floor and one stood out. It is a copy of the History of Architecture in New Orleans. It's frozen in a rather unusual pose with just a smattering of mold. For me, it represents our whole story.

I hope your book does the same thing.