Friday, April 14, 2006

Shalom Y'all


Greetings from Atlanta, GA.

I'm staying at my aunt and uncle's house for the epic and infamous Cohen Family Sedar...
Last night, 64 (SIXTY FOUR!!!) members of the extended Cohen family gathered to celebrate Passover... it's like a village. a small army. a tribe within "the tribe"!! ... and we weren't even all in attendence.

Four generations of Great Aunts and Uncles, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, Seccond Cousins, and we've even reached the stage of Third Cousins all gather anually to celebrate.

Most of this side of my family grew up in Atlanta and are more familiar with eachother. I grew up in Washington DC and would come down at least once a year. But this may actually be my first time visiting since I graduated highschool. Luckily my relatives understand how overwhelming "the family" can be. They came up to me and would state 1)their name and 2)their relationship, ask me a few questions, say how great it is to see me and mingle on. (and the southern accents get stronger the older the relative)

My family and this Passover tradition is so huge and epic that we were featured inthe documentary "SHALOM Y'ALL" about Jews in the South. I'm not kidding. This I really gotta to see.

Other than that I've been kickin it with the fam. Right now I'm pooped from socailizing, drinking Kosher for Passover wine, and my playing with my cousin's three year old daughter.

I'm heading back down to New Orleans tomorrow. I really am exhausted. I don't know how much longer I can go. I need to rest. I miss having a home. I'm ready to settle down.

No comments: