Thursday, May 18, 2006

I (heart) N.O. (part II)


Summer is the time for sequals right?

I just wanted to document the beauty of randomness and the string of events that pulled me across New Orleans last night. It's a testiment to why this city rocks.

A (rare) and good day at the afterschool program led a few of the volunteers to a free concert in a park. We made fun of yuppies and drank strong drinks and were given free food at closing time. From there I got a call from Carrie and headed over to Iron Rail, an anarchist lending library collective. It's in the same warehouse as Plan B, a community bike project collective. (I plan on going there and learning to build my own bike, sometime in the future, when I have a free moment)

At Iron Rail I watched a screening of a documentary about freedom. It was a little too long, but still interesting enough. From there we wandered over to Cafe Flora where we encountered Clyde Casey (just call him Casey) and his Sonic Sensory Machine. It's this crazy 10' tall drum machine on wheels, complete with flashing lights and bells. (rock!)

Across the street from Cafe Flora is Mimi's Bar. A man in with a beard invited us to participate in the "End Of The World (drinking) Spelling Bee" at midnight at the bar... How could I resist? Carrie ducked out early and I went up to check it out. I ended up running into people I know (yes, I know people... already) drinking and hanging out.

Oh, I also got me a library card yesterday. The main library here is not as extensive as SF, but they've got an excellent New Orleans music selection.

No comments: