Tuesday, August 22, 2006

insomnia ... light

1am.. and I can't sleep... again.
I have to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to head to the airport. and I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before. This sucks cause I'm about to head to SF and I'm starting to feel a little congested and sick. awesome.

my brain is racing. I have so many thoughts and ideas about the New Orleans project. I watched the second half of Spike Lees documentary tonight on HBO. The first half was last night. It's really good, and reminded me why I went down there in the first place.

It's easier to feel all the pain and the saddness while I'm away from the situation. While I was in New Orleans, especially the last month or so, I just felt so worn down. It was really difficult to live in that envirnment and feel all that emotion all the time. After a while I became numb to the situation.

Anyways.. I am reminded that the project is about New Orleans. Not about making a book in Rosendale NY. That totally defeats the purpose. I started thinking about interacting with New Orleans and the residents. What I can give to the community. I have some ideas that sound trite when put into words.. thus, I rely on art as my language.

I have to wait till i get back to New Orleans to put some of these ideas into practice and start to make them a material reality... but the gears in my head are still turning.

'this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine'

dedicated to the residents of New Orleans
in loving memory of the victims of Hurricane Katrina

No comments: