Monday, September 03, 2007

Back from the Burn



We actually left on Saturday, before the man Burned. I was over it. It was hot and dusty as usual but my extreme highs and lows, intermingled with long period of apathy prevented me from fully enjoying and appreciating the experience.

It wasn't my year to be there and I had no desire to push myself through such extreme circumstances out of obligation. There were a definitely a few moments when I was reminded why Burning Man is awesome: mostly riding around deep playa and witnessing all the creativity and amazing art installations, pedaling out the the border fence and experiencing the vastness of the desert, the Glitch Mob playing the False Profit party on Tuesday night and a few moments sheltered with friends back at camp braving the dust storms. The down sides were I spent too much time at camp, too much time at large sound camps and not enough time seeing art and I was pretty bored with all the music this year.

Monkey Island Art Car was a moderate success and we took it on a few short rides out into the desert, the first time the engine started over heating, the second time we got attacked by an several hour long dust storm. It was pretty brutal. It did make it to the Space Cowboys Sunrise Ho-Down at the Big Rig Saturday morning and to the Burning of the Man and the Oil Rig burn on Saturday night. Special thanks to all monkeys involved who helped make it happen! The picture below is of Monkey Island braving the dust storm.



Other than that I was lucky to be camped with some fun friends and near many others. I didn't spend time searching for my friends instead I ran into almost everyone I wanted to see around every corner while roaming the playa. That part was nice.


Anyways. I think i've had my fill for a while. I definitely won't be attending next year, but I won't rule it out as a possibility for years in the future. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went, as always, but I think I'm need of a little break after this last time around.

No comments: