Tuesday, February 14, 2006

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY


I'm definately not against Valentine's day. Who isn't in love with love?

What bothers me is the commercial, conventional, standardization of images and sayings that totally degrade the unique experience two people share. Valentine's day has the potential to turn something beautiful and special into something cliched, unoriginal, and boring. and i do have to say that red and pink is probably my least favorite color combo.

A brief history of Valentine's Days I remember:
1995 - I'm 15. my first boyfriend brings me two roses, we smoke pot in the alley, listen to Bob Marley and/or Tom Petty and make out for hours.
2000 - a group of friends attend my school's production of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues" - (love yr Vagina ladies!)
2002 - On the 14th Eric and I wait in line for hours to see Deisle Boy at a packed, tiny club in LA. That weekend we drive out Joshua Tree State Park, campout under the stars, take pills together for the first time, roll our brains out, proffess our love, and then spend the next day exploring and hiking around the park.
2003 - temporarily broken up. I do lots of blow at the Phish show with friends of friends.
2004 - I break into a construction site with a random 21 yr old boy from Hawaii. He's tripped out on mushrooms and I'm drunk as fuck. We get chased down by security gaurds. I head back to 516 Laguna and drink whiskey with my roommates til the sun comes up.
2005 - Jillian, Jess, Amy, Chad, Fritz and I head to the strip clubs of North Beach. I experience my first lap dance. Consume ridiculous amounts of alcohol. Memory starts to get hazy. I think my top comes off and Jillian ends up on stage. We head back to 516 where the cops eventually show up investigating a noise complaint. (there were only 5 of us!)

The conclusion: Valentine's Day is an excuse to ingest mass amounts mood and mind altering substances --- so have a good one!!!

No comments: