Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006 in retrospect

The New Year is an important turning point. It's a time to look forward and a time for reflection. 2006 was a rough year for me and I'm still reeling, attempting to piece together my current reality and ready to start looking to the future...

Here's a look back on what I've done:
- I lived in 3 cities (Washington DC, New Orleans and San Francisco)
- Most of my possessions remained in storage for the entire year
- I paid rent only 4 months of the year
- I volunteered in every city I lived (Pyramid Atlantic Art Center in DC, Common Ground in New Orleans, the Center for the Book in San Francisco)
- I also worked in every city I lived (Vivienne Lassman, Curatorial Assistant in DC, Praline Connection in New Orleans, Citizen Cupcake and Blowfish Sushi in SF)
- I drove 8432 total miles across the country and back
- I had my heart broken, I dated emotionlessly, and I fell in love (again)
- In DC I cried a lot, saw a therapist, and almost got put back on anti-depressants
- In New Orleans I volunteered full time, lived in a tent in a parking lot and worked with behaviorally challenged youth under extreme conditions. I also read a lot, drank a lot, listened to a lot of good music, and spent a lot of time alone.
- I spent over half the year working on a grant application to finally be rejected
- I returned to San Francisco to attend Burning Man and decided to stay a while
- I was reunited with my friends and my heart, looking to find my way home

So I guess that sums up my experience of 2006. Like I said, it was a rough year, but still quite a ride. I'm still not sure what to make of it all. New Orleans still has a piece of my heart, and I don't quite feel settled in San Francisco... who knows what has yet to come...
.. to be continued with thoughts, hopes and goals for 2007

No comments: