I've been back in DC the last few days visiting family and last night I made the trip up to Philly to visit with friends and visit University of the Arts. It's the third and final school to which I'm applying for graduate admission in the fall.
I originally wasn't going to apply to their book making and printmaking program because I thought it was too formal, traditional and restrictive, but after speaking with Susan Viguers (head of the department) this afternoon I have a completely different take on the school. Their program does seem more structured than the one at Columbia College, but they definitely allow room for experimentation and working 'outside the box' which greatly appeals to me. The possibility of learning from professionals and having the chance to perfect skills excites me. The down side is their paper making, bookmaking and letter pressing facilities weren't nearly as impressive as Columbia.
Ultimately, I was pleasantly surprised with my impression of U Arts and, if I get into both schools, will have a difficult decision to make in the fall...
Columbia College of Art Chicago:
- best facilities
- interdisciplinary program
- graduate studios (bonus), but with limited access
- less structured
- 3 year program
Chicago: great city, affordable, great music, great art, Affordable!! but fucking freezing in the winter (oh, um, did I mention: AFFORDABLE? unlike SF)
University of the Arts in Philadelphia:
- facilities good, but not the best
- more traditional program, but with flexibility for experimentation
- great graduate studios and space, with more access
- more structure
- 2 year program
Philly: great city, affordable, great art, I have friends there, Affordable!!, close to family, and east coast, again, AFFORDABLE.
I'd say Philly is winning over Chi-town (mainly due to weather and east coast family), but Columbia is winning over UArts, (mainly due to facilities) but it's really fucking close... now I just have to turn in applications and take it from there.
No comments:
Post a Comment