Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Room!

Last night found the puuuurrrrrfect room with some cool people just in the nick of time. Well, almost. Nothing is final yet but here's the scoop:

I was just about fed up with the apartment search and I hadn't even really started yet. I was emailing people on craigslist most of whom weren't even responding. Places I did hear back from were inviting me to their "Open House." My experience at Open Houses was atrocious. It was like a bad popularity contest where everyone there was competing for attention. It was completely fake and felt similar to what I can only imagine pledging the Greek system would be like. (I've never considered sororities for the very same reasons) Yuck. I'm looking for a room in a house, not an exclusive spot in your club. YUCK! I found myself kissing the asses of people whose houses I didn't even want to live in just because I couldn't stand the thought of regection. It was low down and dirty. Other rooms I would check out and, although nice rooms and nice people, I knew they weren't a fit for me.

I'm very particular about my housing and I knew I could find a good situation in SF, so I was holding out.

A few days ago I posted an add on Tribe and I immediately got a response from Miranda. Her roommate Rebekah was moving to the East Bay and recommended she contact me. I had met Rebekah during my inital search for a room in San Francisco in 2003. Her household had offered me a room which I turned down for several reasons ($, space, too many people, too far from school etc.). Even though I didn't take the room with Rebekah, I continued to see her out and about in San Francisco and we remained in contact. When Miranda came to pick me up to check out the house she commented: "You come very highly recommended."

I liked Miranda instantly. She seemed very sweet and interested in what I had to say. We also spoke about her eduacation her desire to be a nurse and to go into nutrition. The conversation was interesting, relaxed and easy.

Then we got to her place on Fulton at Divis. It's just a few blocks from Chad and Fritz's house and just a block from William and the rest of the "Birdies" (my BM camp 2004). I know this area well. We walked inside and the place was HUGE and comfortable. I got another good feeling immediately. There was art on the walls and big comfy couches and plants. It was clean, but not sterile. Already, I was in love. I said hello to Rebekah. Miranda and her boyfriend Logan will be moving into her room and potentially I will take their room. Then I went to take a look at my possible room. It was fucking gigantic. It's definately bigger than my room at 516. There was so much space and big windows. The kitchen is huge, there's a huge back yard, a washer and dryer, DSL. Damn! This place is awesome. Miranda had originally moved there in 2001 after the DotCom bubble burst when housing was cheap. After 5 years the rent is just now being raised only slightly for the first time. Definately worth every penny.

Then I sat down to talk with Miranda and Logan about the house and all sorts of stuff. After chatting for a while we find out we know a lot of the same people. It just keeps getting better and better.

Now I'm just waiting to meet the third roommate and to know exactly what Rebekah's plans are for moving out. Hopefully it will all work out I'll be able to move in sometime in early January.

No comments: