Monday, January 05, 2009

Chicago is Cold. with a capital C


I know I was warned. I know Chicago is cold so let me explain...

On a day to day basis the weather is not really thaaaat bad: temperatures range from 15 - 25 degrees on average and if you dress well, it won't bother you. There have been a few days below ten degrees and a few days in the 30s and 40s but those are the exceptions. It's not like Minneapolis (i've been tracking the weather there) which is always about 10-20 degrees colder than Chicago. yeah, now that's cold!

My old down coat from my St Louis days has served me well over the last few months and keeps me warm enough when i'm outside. Having spent a part of the winter in the mountains of NY State living in sub zero temperatures (highs of -1 degrees) I was prepared for that kind of cold and I'm still ok with it. At this point in the winter it's not the actual temperature i'm having a problem with (today: high 24, low 18) it's that I never actually feeel WARM. I've been living in a constant state of barely comfortable for over two months (since the beginning of November) and I just want at least a few days to let up so I dethaw and my muscles can relax. Right now I'm sitting on the couch under a sleeping bag wearing chad's down jacket to keep warm and my fingers, toes and noes still feel the nip in the air.

The first month of winter was exciting. I hadn't experienced seasons in so long the change in the air thrilled my senses. Everything seemed natural and right in the world. The second month was also still bareable. I was thankful temperatures rarely dipped around the zero mark and i thought to myself: "This isn't so bad. I can totally handle a Chicago winter."

But today, I'm over it. and I knooow, i know... I still have at least 3 more months to go... ugh!

At least there hasn't been any ice or snow on the ground for the last week or so. Around Christmas we were hit with that gigantic storm that trapped me in the house for 2 days. I could barely walk down the icy sidewalks and the car was stuck in place. When I tried to drive somewhere the wheels only turned in place I couldn't get the thing to budge. After the big ice there were two days above freezing that melted the outside world and freeed me from the confines of the house, while creating massive potholes city-wide.

Apparently there are an average of 3,000 pothole complaints daily to city hall. Last week there were 11,000!! They're not your average street craters, either. They're huge and deep and deadly. Some can even span the entire width of a lane. I hit one driving home on New Year's Eve and it was so destructive it popped the front right tire. Chad and I were close to home so we slowly drove part of the way then walked the next 3 blocks in 15 degree weather. What a way to ring in the new year!

Anyways, it's likely this is all fleeting negativity that will leave me next week. For now I need a place to rant.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Chicago winter sucks, but that makes the 2 weeks of spring so much more awesome. (Not much comfort, I know...)