Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dental Health

So, I did it. I just made an appointment for my first dental examination in years. It's been so long I don't even remember the last time I had a check up.. (5 years, maybe?) ick.

I've been worrying a lot about my teeth recently. It was one of my new years resolutions last January to floss more often and I am proud to say I have stuck to it! It's still not a daily routine but I manage to wedge floss between my teeth several times a week (certainly better then nuthin') in addition to rinsing regularly with Listerine. Despite my efforts, my dental health seems to be deteriorating. Recently my teeth have been hurting when I brush them and sometimes when I eat sugary candy. I don't have major tooth aches or anything, just random spurts of discomfort. Having not been to a dentist in foreeeever, all these symptoms have started to worry me.

Last night I mentioned it to Melvin who promptly presented me with a coupon for A One Dollar Examination (the usual cost is $100) at a dental office down town. A coworker had passed the gift certificate along to him, but since he already has dental insurance (and I do not) he said I could have it. One a side note: I'm now convinced Melvin really is my guardian angel in the form of a black SF lawyer... did I mention I'm back in his kitchen?

This morning I called and scheduled an appointment at 10:30 am on Monday July 30th for my first Dental examination in a really really long time. I find myself partially relieved and also anxious of the outcome. What if I need major oral surgery or something equally as ghastly?

I will just have to wait and see and will certainly keep you posted.

No comments: