
My coupon from Melvin was only for a consultation and not a regular cleaning or anything else fancy. The dentist used a teeny tiny camera to capture images of my mouth and teeth which then appeared on the computer monitor positioned in front of my face. After poking around for a little while he informed me:
a) I have good dental hygiene
b) my gums are in excellent condition
c) the sensitivity I feel when I eat sweet food and brush my teeth is due to my receding gums and exposed nerves
d) my receding gums are caused (not by poor dental health) but more likely by the small bridge of my mouth... meaning, my teeth don't fit properly in my small mouth.
e) I have a few small areas of tooth decay on several of my back molars, but nothing is serious... yet.
.. sooooo: YAY!!!
After all this good news he then informed me that for 200 bucks a pop he could fill 5 of my molars exhibiting early signs of decay before they get toooo serious. I don't have any actual cavities yet, he just wants to prevent them from further decay.
Because I don't have dental (or health) insurance the receptionist printed a "treatment plan" where I would get 3 fillings for $600 total the first visit, then the next visit have a routine cleaning for $94, then on my final visit get the last two fillings put in for $400, adding up to a grand total of $1094 !!!! They even offered to start that day by putting one filling in while I was still in the office.
I dunno, but it sounded kinda (by kinda, I mean REALLY) fishy to me. Should I really put fillings on my teeth before they're properly cleaned?! I've only had 3 cavities in my entire life. One was filled poorly and food particles somehow got stuck in or under it which, later down the line, caused half of my back molar to crack off. Luckily, at that point in my life, I was a college student with dental insurance and the problem was fixed quickly and promptly.
So what if they fill in the areas showing early decay without first thoroughly cleaning my teeth?? Will the same thing happens again?! AND Is it really necessary to fill in areas that are only showing early signs of decay....?? I mean, REALLY! ??
I don't trust this guy.
Coincidentally, on the very same day of this encounter my friend, Babs, wrote a Yelp review raving about the dentist she's being seeing for years whom she trusts entirely. Apparently a routine cleaning is only $75.
I definitely think I need a second opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment