Monday, July 09, 2007

A Few More Reasons to love San Francisco

I have always believed that art and life are intertwined and San Francisco definitely fosters an environment within which these ideals are continually being put into practice:

1) Funded by the Black Rock Arts Foundation and constructed entirely from reused and recycled materials the Panhandle Bandshell opened a few weeks ago. I really enjoy this piece because it combines beautiful aesthetics with the concepts of functionality, community and interactivity; ideas I value and strive to portray in my work.


Here's an interesting article on the piece: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/09/BAG2AQT6SB1.DTL


2) The Hayes Valley Historic Miniature Golf Extravaganza is another cool public art installation funded by the San Francisco Arts Commission. Open 2 Saturdays a month and entirely free to the public it tells the history of Hayes Valley through a series of functional mini-golf holes. Again, I like the interactivity and playfulness of this piece as well as it's educational and historical content. However I don't find it as as aesthetically pleasing as the bandshell.


You can read more about the project here:
http://www.thewowhaus.com/CURRENT/minigolf/mingolf.html

No comments: