Today i was reprimanded at work for dressing inappropriately.
i know what you're thinking... and it really wasn't that bad. I've made a concerted effort to wear my cleanest, most office-friendly clothing. It's a little bit of a challenge considering i've never worked in an office before. I always choose dark, solid colors and my cleanest pair of jeans: no paint, ink, stains, holes, nothing.
Well, today my longsleeved black shirt ended right at the top of my jeans, causing an occasional centimeter of skin, and i guess parts of my tattoos to show when i moved. And even though i rarely leave my small box in the corner of the office, this is apparently NOT OK.
Maybe I'm being a overly sensitive, but I can't help take it personally when someone can be offended purely by me being me... and not even the Real Me but a conservative, very subdued version me.
I need to go work for artists again, where people appreciate individual self-expression instead of fearing it.
--- and coincidentally, last night after watching a Nauseating five minutes worth of "Glamour's Fashion Do's and Don'ts" on TV (i quickly changed the channel), I was inspired to compose my own Do's and Don'ts list:
DON'T listen to what other people say about what's 'in' or 'out' / 'wrong' or 'right'
DO wear what You like - what feels good for You
cause if you're comfortable and feel good about yourself then 9x outta 10 you're probably looking good too <-- this, of course, has little to do with appropriate office attire, but i thought i would continue while i was on a role...
No comments:
Post a Comment